Monday, June 9, 2014

Wild Kingdom Part Two

A couple of weeks ago, Mom was sitting in the driveway enjoying the sun. She had opened the garage door about 45 minutes prior. She heard a "plop!" and turned around to investigate, upon turning around, she found that a rather large snake had fallen either from in the garage door or in the rafters. I determined that it was probably a Bull snake.
After that Mom refused to enter the garage first, she also had to inspect the rafters first! :)
Last week, Mom was out in the garage getting food for Muddy when she heard another "plop!" and turned around to find a possum! It stared at her and skittered under the car. She then refused to enter the garage without inspecting for rodents, and making noise!
A couple of nights ago, I was in the house, when all of a sudden Mom started shouting my name! I hurried outside and found her in the garage staring up into the rafters. Sure enough, the possum was staring back at us from his perch! I determined that it was a juvenile (teenager), and assured Mom that possums are not aggressive. We called Dad, who came home and rigged up a system for catching the possum. We put a large pool raft under the spot where the possum was perched. Once we were all armed with brooms, Dad knocked the possum off of the rafter, as soon as the possum was on the ground, we swept it outside. Where it promptly played dead. I found this all quite fascinating, and thoroughly enjoyed watching the possum flop down with his tongue lolling, lay for a while, peek around to see if we were still there, and upon seeing me, flop back down!
This is where he was when I walked in.

Playing dead.

Dad's proven catch-and-release system! (I'm not being sarcastic, it really did work.)

Still "dead"

Don't judge the boots, I wanted to make sure I wouldn't get attacked...


P.S. My strawberries are doing amazing, though recently the bugs and the birds have gotten to them and I'm throwing out almost as many as I'm picking! My plants are three years old, and I do just about nothing to them, I water if necessary, but they are really low-maintenance.

I end up eating most of them before I even get inside!




No comments:

Post a Comment